Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday, 6/10

Two years ago when Greg and I took our first trip together to Europe, people thought we were crazy to be traveling for fifty nights. Some questioned why we would take on eight countries with just our backpacks in tow?  Some wondered if we would get tired of all that ‘quality time’ together after so many weeks?  Some worried if we would even return on the same plane?  It turned out to be one of the defining events in both our lives and  we returned more in love than ever.  So, for this trip, we needed more of a challenge.  More countries? No.  More days? No.  How about another travel companion?  Could we manage eighteen days in Europe ... with my mother?  

What have folks said when we shared our travel plans this time?  Your husband must be a saint.  How generous of you to share your vacation with your mother.  That is very kind of you.  But of course, those are all comments from people who haven’t met my mother.

My mother, Joyce, turned sixty this year.  I can’t recall the last time she took a vacation.  She has spent the last fifteen years being a doting daughter to her ninety year old mother.  She also teaches seventh and eighth graders full time.  Somehow she manages to be an inspiration to all of her family and friends, as well.  She is a pretty special lady.  Plus she is tons of fun.  She loves to laugh, try new things and is enthusiastic about all of life’s endeavors. Truly, who could think of a better travel companion? 

When my father passed away this spring, the whole family was dealt a blow.  Even though my mother and father had been divorced for over a decade, his passing affected her greatly.  She sat by his bedside, kissed his brow, gave him words of encouragement.  I know she did this partially for the life they shared together, but more so she did it for me.  She put herself out there, took days off work, drove me to the hospital.  That’s the kind of mom she is.  That’s the kind of person she is.  And on top of the tragic events of our springtime, she also  had to contend with her sixtieth birthday.  She deserved something to look forward to, we all did.

When I asked my husband, “What would you think about taking my mom to Italy with us for her sixtieth birthday?”  He didn’t  blink, “Absolutely, let’s do it.”  So that is the kind of man I married.  His thoughts are always about my happiness and what makes me happy, he finds joy in as well.  While most men might dread spending time with their mother-in-law, he was excited to share the experience with her. 

Our trip is still a little over a week away.  I still have to close up my classroom, deliver report cards, and say good bye to my sixth graders, but the to do list is certainly shrinking.  As my responsibilities are slowly but surely melting away this week, the reality of actually being on that plane is coming into crisper focus.  I am finally able to join my mom and Greg in their mounting excitement about the journey ahead.  


9 comments:

  1. Excited to hear about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add your comments here... Click the drop-down menu and "Comment as: Anonymous" if you don't have an existing profile. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you all and can't wait to read about your adventures! Have fun and be sure to dance in a fountain for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful blog entry, Melissa, and I couldn't agree more. All three of you are special people, and I hope your trip is as special as you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, you describe your adventures with such descriptive language that I can re-live every moment along with you! I look forward to each new entry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED reading this:-) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a fellow Cretaiole traveler, it was so much fun to read about your experiences! Sue and I had a fabulous time getting to know your family just a bit- singing with Greg under the influence of a little bit of Lucciano and a lot of grapa made our first Italian holiday even more memorable. Thanks for helping to coax my nephew and niece out of their shells and start singing out loud in front of family- those performances will stay in our thoughts for a long time to come! Ciao!

    Curt & Sue from Portland, OR

    ReplyDelete